Blog

Household Pet Toxins

While your home is generally a safer place for your pet than the great outdoors, there are some toxic substances already within your walls. Make yourself aware of them to keep your pet completely safe.

Pesticides and Rodenticides

The products we use in our homes to kill off insects and rodents are poisonous—not only to the insects and rodents, but to our companion animals as well! Be extremely cautious when using insecticides or rat poison in your home, as it can severely harm cats and dogs if ingested. You might consider alternative pest-control methods. Ask your Colorado Springs veterinarian about these and ways of keeping your pet safe from pesticides.

Human Foods

The list of harmful human foods is quite vast—chocolate, candy and gum, avocado, onions, garlic, grapes, and raisins are only a few of the most common offenders. Keep all these foods stored safely away in the refrigerator or a sealed cabinet, and never leave harmful food out on the counter where a pet could swipe some. Ask your vet for a complete list of harmful household foods.

Household Plants

Many houseplants are harmful to pets if nibbled on or swallowed. Lilies are toxic to cats, azaleas have toxic properties, and even poinsettia plants are poisonous if enough is ingested. Check with your veterinarian to make sure the houseplants you’re decorating your home with aren’t potentially disastrous for your pet.

Cleaning Products

Our closets and cabinets are full of cleaning solutions, solvents, bleaches, and more products that contain multiple toxic ingredients. Store all cleaning products in places your pet won’t go searching, and always read the directions when using them. It may be a good idea to move your pet to another room while you’re cleaning, to avoid any possible contact or fume inhalation.

Human Medicine

Did you know that aspirin, prescription pills, antidepressants, and many over-the-counter medications are extremely dangerous for pets? Even a few pills can spell disaster for your cat or dog—keep all containers sealed and locked away, and never mix up human medication with your pet’s. Call your Colorado Springs veterinary professional immediately if your pet accidentally swallows some of your medications.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

Twitter